Social Icons

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Why do I write?




I don’t write for fame or fortune. I don’t write based on trends. I write because I have a story to tell; a story to share. My new mystery novel features a multiracial cast. There is an underlying love story beneath the mystery. I wanted to explore a pure love. A love that regardless of time or distance would endure. Someone suggested that I make my male lead white because “Interracial love stories sell”. Yeah, maybe, but that’s not how I pictured the characters in the story.

I would rather tell the story the way I envisioned it, than change it to possibly sell a few more books. I think people in general are sophisticated enough to appreciate a good story regardless of the race of the characters. As an avid reader myself, I'm pulled in by the story and how well it's conveyed on the written page. It doesn't matter if I share the same ethnicity, physical attributes, gender, etc., with the main characters.